Monday, September 05, 2005

To my music teacher with love

Well, it is the one week break. It is a good time to rest, even though it is not total rest, it is time to do some reflection. ( this is the latest word in the business of teaching, same for reflective teaching)

I must say that i do not think that I have any teachers, who have impacted my life, let alone change my life. I have some bad experiences with them, which i have carried in my life. I must admit that i am an idiot to music. My music teacher also picked me to answer question every music lesson and as expected, i look foolish and unable to answer. the notes and chords looked like black spots to me and they did not mean anything to me, I could not understand what is the difference between A, B, C, G. This had left a scar, which i carried for many years through secondary school education. I comforted myself by saying my musical intelligience is not developed (Howard Gardener's Multiple Intelligences). It did not helped that my music teacher always picked on me, making me look stupid.

Thank GOD! He has brought healing in this area. I always have a guitar at my house, which the previous cell leader left behind so that he need not carry the guitar to my place for cell group meetings. Even though the guitar was in my house, I have never taken it out to play. I always thought I can never play it (remember my scar above). My Merciful Father in Heaven brought into cell group a fellow brother, who encouraged(arrowed) me to lead worship and he will play guitar. During the practice, he encouraged me to learn. The second person is a fellow colleague in the school. She is middle aged, but she has just picked up the guitar and could understand the struggle. She provided the chords and taught me how to place my fingers.

Through prayers and few weeks of practice, I can say that I can play a few worship songs and may move on to play during cell group. Praises to GOD!

Teachers, we have a great task. Even if our students cannot understand the lesson and always fail, it is ok, it is more important to keep encouraging them. My teacher failed me, I am a teacher of Normal Technical pupils, I cannot fail my pupils. It is important to celebrate their little success in their learning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Inspirational thoughts said...

keep on practising for your guitar. I also used to practice strumming alot but now got so many other things to do, have cut down on the time i play my guitar. Got chance, we can have a singspiration sesion yah?

8:05 PM  
Blogger リム シャーンテイーン said...

Sometimes I feel like failing the NT students, when the anger get the better of me.


Great Blog btw...

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sleepless in Singapore said...

Maybe this will encourage you.

My wife has been teaching for close to twenty years. The other day, some of her students, whom she taught at least 15 years ago came by to visit her when 1 of them retrurned from Canada.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home