Saturday, July 14, 2007

fined under section 136a of the custom act

GOD give me grace as I blog this. Forgive me and I forgive the tresspassers. I offer the anger to you and my scarifice of my flesh to be crucified in Christ that I will grow in Christ and submit to the authorities. Amen

Today, I had a little misadverture at the Woodlands checkpoint, leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth..... Below is a letter that I have writtened and emailed to the Singapore Customs, hoping for a positive reply and not one that is printed from the computer.

To-whom-it-may-concern,

Today (14/07/2007), I had a little misadventure on my part that I have forgotten to check the fuel level before I cross the Singapore Custom. The officers were nice and polite. I was stopped for having a fuel tank less than three quarter. I admitted that it was my overslight because my car is a off-peak car and I do not drive out very often, so can be a little careless about fuel level.

But what frustrates me was I noticed that the officer only stopped me and after he brought me to the office, he did not return to the post to continue to check other vehicles. Throughout the 10 minutes I was waiting in the office, there was no officers checking the fuel level of other vehicle. In this sense, should a person not feel justified? I am not saying that the officer is not performing his duties but I am refering to being fair. Why am I the only few cars that are stopped? It will not be fair to me if the cars in front and behind passed by without meeting the fuel level requirement without being stopping.

To be fair, the officer should have stopped all vehicles to check their fuel level and not at random. I pointed it out to the senior officer inside the office, he justified it by saying that the check was random , just as speed offenders, the police cannot be there all the time. (But is the speed detection machine there all the time???)

It will have been nice if the custom allowed me to return to top up my fuel tank, being this is my first offence. Presently, it will be nice if my fine is returned, the record can remain but it will also be nice if it is omitted because I still feel unfairly treated.

Thank you for your time to read this and hope to hear a reply soon.


This misadverture has brought me a few thoughts:

1) Is it fair to attribute everything to being random?
I understand that many of this police and traffic check are random, BUT should it not be fair too? Meaning as you know there are police road blocks at night, is it fair if the road block is there for an hour, then move to another location for another hour and move another location?? Law should be acted equally on all citizens and not be based on the dfference in timing. A drunk driver, caught at 9pm, will not be justified if a drunk at any other timing is not caught.

Secondly, by what standards do the department measure random or is it up to the whims and fancies of the officers involved?? Should "random" checks be also fair and consistent?

2) What a stupid law to have (three quarter full tank)
Where is our courage to be like the Hong Kongers, who went on strike to protest against a penal code section 23 (I think if I remember correctly)? I seriously questioned, who will benefited from this law? It is definitely not the Malaysia Government as they subsidised the price of petrol in Malaysia, if they are not complaining, why should the Singapore Government stop us consumers from choosing the places where we buy petrol?? It is our consumer right to choose where we use our limited resource under the confines of law. Where is our consumer rights?

With my finite mind, I can only think of three parties that will benefit from this law.

a) The Petrol companies
By keeping the consumers in Singapore, it will keep their profit margin up. But how can a democratic Government, voted by the people of Singapore not protect our interest and helped the foreign petrol companies??

b) The Singapore Government
Firstly, the Inland revenue will be able to collects taxes from the petrol companies from the profits. If the petrol companies made lesser profits, that will mean lesser tax revenue for the Government.
Secondly, The Goods and Services Tax (GST) will suffer a slight decease in the amount of collection. By the way, the law was in place before the GST was suggested.
However, it will not be fair if the law ask for full tank, so they can tell consumers that they still have the choice to choose, but can only top up a quarter tank.

c) The Singapore Customs
One law to fine Singaporeans. In the eyes of law, there is no room for compassion and understanding for other mankind, only punishments for offenders. Singapore is such a FINE city to live in.

3) Please, this is ridiculous, how much can I save to pump petrol there?
I did some rough calculation, my S$20 can pump my car to a quarter of the meter, however, S$20 can pump half a tank there. Hence, I only save $20 everytime I pump. Meaning my weekend car, which I pump a full tank every three to four weeks, will only save me S40 if I pump full tank in Malaysia. However, I only pump a quarter tank, which will mean $10 a month. How much can I save????

It is not as if I buy petrol back to sell.......crazy....plus the traffic jam that I have to endure to go over and back.....

I Pray:
38You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.

39But I say to you, Do not resist the evil man [who injures you]; but if anyone strikes you on the right jaw or cheek, turn to him the other one too.

40And if anyone wants to sue you and take your undershirt (tunic), let him have your coat also.

41And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two [miles].

42Give to him who keeps on begging from you, and do not turn away from him who would borrow [[a]at interest] from you.

43You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy;

44But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

45[b]To show that you are the children of your Father Who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the wicked and on the good, and makes the rain fall upon the upright and the wrongdoers [alike].

Matthew 5:38-45 (Amplified Bible)
GOD, change me.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home